From the documentary producer to the Hollywood director,
the versatility of digital video has long intrigued filmmakers. Now, JVC
introduces the digital solution that offers the missing factor to the
digital cinema equation--the outstanding image quality of the GY-DV700WU
Unprecedented performance from a DV camcorder.
This powerful DV camcorder is ready to handle the sophisticated
requirements of the most demanding feature production, yet it's priced
within reach of virtually everyone. Developed in cooperation with the BBC,
the CineDV DV700 combines three state-of-the-art 2/3-inch, true 16:9 CCDs
with JVC's original high-performance dual-pipeline 14-bit DSP (Digital
Signal Processing) for truly exceptional image quality. This combination
gives you the power to unleash the creative potential of the DV format like
Truly professional in every way.
Even down to its very design, the CineDV DV700 was created with the
professional's needs in mind. Controls are exactly where you expect. A full
range of professional accessories is available. And you'll even find
advanced features like TC and Super Scene Finder for automatic scene
Incredible image meets incredible value.
Creative innovations are only part of the story. The CineDV DV700 affords
filmmakers practicalbreakthroughs as well. Superior cost efficiency of both
the camera and the DV format allows more of a production's precious budget
to be spent on casting, music, wardrobe and other equipment.
Proven ability in the real world.
The CineDV DV700 gives you all the tools you need to work in a
professional yet practical way. Just ask the winner of the Vancouver Film
Festival's One Shot Challenge, who selected the CineDV for its
creative potential, sophisticated tools, effects and features.
Finally, there's a DV camcorder that offers filmmakers, broadcasters and
independent producers maximum functionality and truly unprecedented creative
flexibility. With the CineDV DV700, digital cinematography has clearly
2/3" 3-CCD image pickup
- The GY-DV700WU incorporates three 2/3" true 16:9 IT CCDs that combine
with an F1.4 prism to provide sensitivity of F11 at 2,000 lux and
exceptionally sharp pictures. Each CCD is equipped with highly advanced
circuitry that virtually eliminates vertical smear, ensuring quality
pictures even when shooting into bright lights or dark environments. Color
reproduction is faithfully reproduced throughout the whole digital range.
- Native 16:9/4:3 switchable
- With more and more high-end television production and independent movie
producers turning to digital video for their production needs, the
advantages of selectively shooting the original footage in the 4:3 or 16:9
aspect ratio of the finished program are obvious. The higher pixel density
of the 2/3" 16:9 CCDs provide beautiful results in either aspect ratio,
without aliasing or re-scaling artifacts. Native 16:9 makes a big
difference for large screen projection, high definition up-conversion or
- 2/3" bayonet lens mount
- The GY-DV700WU's standard 'B4 type' professional 2/3" bayonet lens
mount is compatible with the widest selection of lenses, including standard
TV lenses, switchable aspect, cine style prime lenses and high-definition
- Professional DV recording on a MiniDV tape
- The GY-DV700WU combines the convenience and affordability of readily
available MiniDV cassettes with the high-quality camera performance you
need for professional use. A single MiniDV cassette can record up to 80
minutes* of high-quality 8-bit, 13.5 kHz, 4:1:1 DV component digital images
and can be played back in DVCPRO and DVCAM units.
*With an MDV-80 tape.
- High-quality PCM digital audio
- To complement its superior pictures, the GY-DV700WU offers outstanding
digital PCM sound. Audio signals are locked with video signals for smooth
editing. You can choose from two 16-bit 48-kHz channels or two 12-bit, 32-
kHz channels with a dynamic range of more than 85 dB.
CH1 and Ch2 audio channels with manual audio controls are provided on both
the back and front of the unit, assuring that your primary audio is always
within easy reach during shooting. In addition, auto mode with limiter
compressor and low cut filter for outdoors shooting are provided. Three XLR
connectors provide line or microphone input level with selectable phantom
power while a built-in wireless microphone receiver receptacle can be used
to carry Sony 820 wireless receiver.
- LOLUX 0.75 lux
- When activated, the LOLUX mode (an original JVC invention) increases
sensitivity with almost no increase in noise. LOLUX lets you shoot in near
complete darkness (as low as 0.75 lux). As a result, you can capture
footage under the most challenging conditions. This feature is a real plus
for ENG, reality TV or documentaries.
- 14-bit digital signal processor (DSP)
- The GY-DV700WU applies JVC's DSP with advanced high-speed dual pipeline
14-bit video processing. Color matrix, skin detail, highlight chroma and no
black compression bring out natural details, eliminate spot noise, and
accurately reproduce dark areas, allowing you to get great footage using
only ambient light.
- IEEE 1394 (Firewire) input/output compatible with most NLE systems
- This allows high-quality compressed digital video signal transfer
directly to a computer, a non-linear editing system such as
Apple's Final Cut Pro, or to another DV recorder. Producers can now
digitally spool directly to a non-linear editing platform without loss, and
then transfer the finished product directly back to video tape using the
- SMPTE time code input/output
- SMPTE TC I/O connectors for multi-camera shooting allow synchronization
to other devices such as Nagra, DAT's and TC Slate. The GY-DV700WU's
internal SMPTE TC reader generator provides user bit, and drop, non-drop TC
at any tape speed.
- Super Scene Finder (SSF)
- A JVC exclusive, Super Scene Finder lets you log scenes automatically
or manually in the field while shooting, and optionally mark the best ones.
The SSF data for the last six tapes is retained in the camcorder's
non-volatile memory. Data for up to 134 scenes may be permanently stored on
the head of the corresponding tape. The camcorder possesses an RS-232 port
for controlling the tape mechanism and downloading the scene data to a PC
running logging software. Super Scene Finder dramatically speeds up and
simplifies not only the production, but also the NLE transfer process and
saves disk space, because you digitize only those scenes you need for
- Convenient facilities
- The GY-DV700WU is provided with a tripod and lens mount compatible with
a wide range of peripherals such as Steadicams, cranes, dollies and matte
Compact, lightweight design
- Only 3 kg (6.6 lbs.) for the main unit
- Because it uses MiniDV tapes, high-tech materials, advanced
microprocessors and highly-integrated electronics, the GY-DV700WU is able
to pack a lot of performance into a very compact body. Built entirely of a
strong yet lightweight die-cast magnesium alloy, the camcorder body itself
weighs only 3 kg (6.6 lbs.). Even when you add lens, viewfinder, battery
pack and tape, it is still surprisingly light ? weighing in at 5.5 kg (12.1
lbs.) or less.
- Viewfinder status display
- The viewfinder status display uses characters and menus to display
selected information in the viewfinder. For example, 4:3 or 16:9 safe area,
time code/tape remain, F stop, battery condition, shutter speed, zebra
pattern for skin detail and brightness indication are all displayed, as
well as various events, camera setting status, recorder operation, and
selected setup parameters.
- Convenient menu dial
- Quickly and easily navigate through the camera's powerful setup menu or
select the shutter-speed with the convenient menu point and click dial.
- Tally lamps
- Tally lamps on the viewfinder and rear panel indicate when the camera
enters the record mode and flash when the battery level is too low, the
remaining tape time is less than 3 minutes, etc. Either tally may be
switched off at the user's discretion.
- Back-lit LCD display
- Clear and easy?to-see even in the dark, this display shows operation
status and warning indicators including audio level indicators, remaining
tape/battery power display, time code reader/generator indication, menu
setting and time date display.
Professional camera features
- Full auto shooting
- When you are in a hurry and there is no time to set up for a shot, this
function provides point-and-shoot ease of operation -- all you have to do
is zoom, focus and press the record button. Activating full auto shooting
sets the camera to the Auto Iris mode, even if the lens is set to manual.
If the auto-iris runs out of range, the Automatic Video Level Control (ALC),
along with Extended Electronic Iris (EEI) takes over to provide both
variable gain and variable shutter, extending the operating range 10,000
times! Also activated is Full Auto White, which provides white balance even
under continuously varying color temperatures. Full auto shooting makes
possible seamless shooting from a dark area to a bright area without
changing gain, iris, or ND filter.
- Precision 'accu-focus' mode
- In the ACCU-FOCUS position, the electronic shutter is activated
for approximately ten seconds, forcing the iris fully open. As a result,
the depth of field is minimized so the lens can be focused quickly and
precisely. This feature combined with VF-P116WU viewfinder peaking allows
quick precise focusing.
- Continuous auto black (CAB)
- JVC's Continuous Auto Black circuit continuously corrects black balance
by sampling the CCD's optical black. As a result, perfect black balance is
assured in a changing environment without interrupting shooting.
- Automatic level control (ALC)
- ALC with Extended Electronic Iris allows continuous automatic shooting
in all light levels, by varying the gain from 0 dB to +18 dB.
- Shutter/variable scan view
- The electronic shutter speed range varies from 1/100 to 1/2,000 sec. By
selecting the alternate Variable Scan function, you can capture
flicker-free footage of computer screens whose vertical scan rates may
differ from that of the camera.
- Black stretch/compress
- This function enhances or suppresses the details of dark areas on the
- Adjustable detail frequency
- This feature gives you control over the picture sharpness for a bolder
or more detailed look.
- Adjustable gamma point
- By adjusting the contrast, you can alter the mood of the picture
according to your taste,
- Time code reader/generator
- SMPTE-standard time code can be recorded and read for accurate editing.
- Sync lock mode
- This enables a number of cameras to be synchronized for multi-camera